Novak Djokovic's visa cancelled again, an appeal is being prepared
World No.1, Novak Djokovic's visa revoked again.Source: B92, M.S.
After several days' saga and postponing the decision, Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has enacted his discretionary powers to cancel Djokovic's visa for a second time, overruling the decision made in the Federal Circuit Court earlier this week.
This threatens Djokovic's performance on the Australian Open, which starts on Monday, and on which he was scheduled to play with Miomir Kecmanovic in the first round.
If Djokovic does not file an appeal and if his appeal is not accepted, he will be deported from Australia.
Mr. Hawke said on Friday he had exercised his broad powers under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel Djokovic’s visa “on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so”.
“This decision followed orders by the Federal Circuit and Family Court on 10 January 2022, quashing a prior cancellation decision on procedural fairness grounds,” he said in a statement.
“In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.
“The Morrison government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Djokovic’s team are expected to immediately file an injunction, thus "buying" additional time.