1. Zaev and the Albanian nationalists are taking over the country. This is appalling. This may end up even worse than Kosovo. Forget Macedonia having to give up a piece of its land to intruders -- in the end they might take over all of Macedonia. The injustice here is unparalleled. What Greeks are too proud to see, is that they should ally with Macedonia. Each time they strike a blow to Macedonia, they are further helping the Albanians take over. See how they like it when "Greater Albania" starts spreading to the beaches of Thessaloniki. They will come to regret this. For that I am sure. Ask any Serbian if they have seen this happen before...
    (Human, 6 March 2018 21:02)

    # Comment link

  2. It all started with the uneducated goat herder writing poetry about his village. Georgi Pulevski claimed that he was a direct decendent of Alexander the Great. I tend to think he was a decendent of Alexander the Goat. Like LjubŤo Georgievski he had an about face and claimed to be Bulgarian. In fact he stated he regretted not being able to execute the unification of Bulgaria and Ottoman Macedonia. Antiquization was replaced by a pan Slavic united Bulgaria. Georgi Pulevski went from being a goat herder to a stonemason to a founder of Macedonism to a Bulgaphile upon his death. Goergievski and Pulevski are similar in this regard. They both renounced their new found religion and came to their senses. With the death of the uneducated stonemason the Bulgarians of Vardar Macedonia were cured until the unimaginable happened Ė TITO. A half caste Croat/Slovene redefines the Bulgarians of Vardar Banovina as Macedonians. The Diaspora left their little villages with a suitcase and a story. Titoís story. Just when it couldnít get any worse Todov and his deluded intellectuals addicted to Pulevski poetry brainwash their population. FYROM is born. Gruevski is the second coming of Pulevski.
    The ethnic Bulgarian will always be the ethnic Bulgarian. The ethnic Greek will always be an ethnic Greek. Language defines both of us. The Antiquization story is flawed. This why FYROM today has failed. Letís not nation build on an uneducated stonemason.
    (Terry, 25 February 2018 13:18)

    # Comment link

  3. Iím a little confused, So Ziev representing a political party that only won 38% of the vote in 2016, had to go into coalition with Ďallí of the ethnic Albanian parties in Macedonia (who collectively only won 17% of the vote in 2016), to form a slim majority government of 55%. Now he believes that this gives him a mandate to settle the name dispute with Greece
    (Q&A, 22 February 2018 07:00)

    Yes, 55% is the majority of Macedonia's citizens. What are you confused about, dear? It's very simple math, unless, of course, you believe that all citizens of Macedonia make up more than 110% of the population lol
    (icj1, 22 February 2018 14:43)

    # Comment link

  4. Is it the way itís spelt or the way itís verbally said in general that is causing issues. If itís the spelling the Greeks have a problem with, why donít the Macedonians mis spell the name or by adding a silent letter to the name : Mass-erdonian or Mace-dhonian. In conclusion their flag is awful, it looks like a Japanese war flag from WW2. It needs a new look.
    (Dr. Kandic, 22 February 2018 11:49)

    # Comment link

  5. Iím a little confused, So Ziev representing a political party that only won 38% of the vote in 2016, had to go into coalition with Ďallí of the ethnic Albanian parties in Macedonia (who collectively only won 17% of the vote in 2016), to form a slim majority government of 55%. Now he believes that this gives him a mandate to settle the name dispute with Greece in some secret shady backroom meetings, without any input from any opposition parties or even the President of the Republic of Macedonia? How is this going to work?

    Going by the official stats, Zievs party only won 49% of the ethnic Macedonian vote in 2016, so he canít even claim that he represents the majority of ethnic Macedonians in these secret negotiations with Greece.

    And could someone explain if a simple majority vote in parliament can legally change the name of Macedonia to (whatever..) then what is stopping the current opposition party from changing it back to the ĎRepublic of Macedoniaí once they eventually get re-elected? This makes no sense.

    I think all Macedonians what to see an end to this Ďso calledí name dispute, so why canít Ziev be more transparent in his negotiations with his Greek counterpart? Letís see what was put on the table by his Greek counterpart, is it a reasonable solution? Lets hear it? Because In the absence of any real official information, rumours begin to be treated as facts, and people (on both sides of the debate) then start to loose confidents the negotiators.
    (Q&A, 22 February 2018 07:00)

    # Comment link

  6. the link:

    [link]

    Sorry, my bad - it was a Czech linguist, not Polish.

    The Hittites did call their dialect "po nashili", enough said.
    And they lived like 800 years earlier than Homeros.

    It would be wrong to call their language Slavonic, it was simply to early.
    But the relationship is obvious.

    So (the ancestors of) Slavs were around, so all other current element.
    BTW: let's guess, what about that mysterious, agglutinative Hatti language (the sacral, non-Indo-European) language of Hittites...
    (Ataman, 22 February 2018 01:33)

    # Comment link

  7. a slav has no link to antiquity.
    (elefterios, 21 February 2018 22:46)
    Yep, probably true for Macedonia.
    But don't forget the ones who did beat Ramses-II in the battle.
    And their language was decyphered with the help of Polish and Russian.

    See Hittites.

    BTW: that was before Homeros, right?
    (Ataman, 22 February 2018 01:21)

    # Comment link

  8. guinea/new guinea, zealand/new zealand, england/new england, macedonia/new macedonia. one is greek and ancient one is new and slavic. lets not complicate simple things. a slav has no link to antiquity.
    (elefterios, 21 February 2018 22:46)

    # Comment link

  9. Alexander of Macedonia... A man's man who would bend over backwards for his men. Very Greek indeed.
    (Tony (a Brit currently working in Berlin), 21 February 2018 22:14)

    # Comment link

  10. Funny story with fake countries is you can change anything faster than one can say WHAT. The same goes for Serbia. They have to do with Constantine the Great as much as Macedonia has to do with Alexander the Great.
    (Avni, 21 February 2018 20:45)

    # Comment link

  11. Gornomakadonia will be known as Govnomakadonkey. Additionally the question over language is hugely controversial - something only now been considered as an after thought of zaev though clearly Greece's trojan.

    Constitutional change will be pushed through by Zaev - his western masters (EUSSA) have seen to it with official languages being in this case Govnomakadonkey and Albanian. EUSSA demand it of its puppets.
    (Kozjak, 21 February 2018 19:00)

    # Comment link