Court yet to receive response from Šešelj

BELGRADE -- The Hague Tribunal has said they received no response from Vojislav Šešelj, who was on Friday given three days to accept the terms of his provisional release.

(FoNet, file)
(FoNet, file)

The Tanjug news agency reported on Tuesday that it learned from the court that no response had been received until that moment.

It was also noted that the accused had three days to respond once he received the Serbian translation, which was "issued on Friday."

Asked whether Šešelj's response would be taken into consideration if it arrived after the deadline, "the court had no comment," the news agency said.

The leader of the Serb Radical Party (SRS) previously stated that the only restriction he would accept was not to leave the territory of the Republic of Serbia. He at the same time rejected any guarantees offered for his provisional release by the Serbian government, describing it as "traitorous and pro-western."

Šešelj was indicted for war crimes in early 2003 and soon after voluntarily surrendered, and pleaded not guilty to all counts of the indictment.

The trial started in 2007 and is still ongoing, while Šešelj has spent the past 11 years incarcerated at the UN tribunal's detention unit in The Hague.