SRS calls on opposition to unite

Aleksandar Vučić says that the opposition will call for early parliamentary elections to participate as a united coalition.

Source: Beta, Tanjug
Share

The Serb Radical Party secretary-general told a press conference that his party would work in the coming months on preparing a platform—namely, a strategy for the opposition’s united goal of reaching a “different and better Serbia” and new elections.

He added that the SRS would propose this platform to the Democratic Party of Serbia (DSS) and New Serbia (NS), and that the main elements would be attracting investment and improving the standard of living.

Asked whether he was happy with the number of people that had attended the rally organized by the SRS against the arrest of Radovan Karadžić, Vučić said that the meeting on Tuesday had been the largest meeting ever organized by a party in Republic Square, adding that the estimates of a crowd of 16,000 people fell considerably short of the real mark.

He said that after counting the lists of buses that had come from outside Belgrade to the capital, a figure of 21,366 had been reached.

Vučić said that someone had to be held responsible for the incidents—either the regime of Boris Tadić, who the SRS believed was responsible, or the SRS, as the regime claimed.

“We will establish accountability—if we were responsible we are going to be arrested, if they are responsible then they will be. Someone has to carry the can for the damage and the injured people,” the SRS secretary-general stressed.

He said that if the SRS decided to hold new protests it would not happen in the next two or three weeks, but if the party did decide to do so, it would hold a “media” walk.

Vučić said that the route of the planned walk had been to pass through the street where the clashes had occurred, and claimed that the only reason for the police’s reaction and their decision to push the hooligans back towards the rally was to stop the protest march from taking place.

He added that he would be pressing charges against two Gendarmerie members that had assaulted him, though he did not know their names.

Politics

Dačić: No one allowed to assault police

Interior Minister Ivica Dačić says that protestors who attacked the police were responsible for Tuesday night’s violence.

Politics Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:40 Comments: 1
page 1 of 129 go to page