Russians say 800 killed in failed offensive at Aleppo
The Russian military has announced that an attempt of about 5,000 extremists to launch an offensive southwest of Aleppo, Syria, had been prevented.Source: Tanjug, Sputnik, RT
More than 800 terrorists were killed as they tried to break the siege of the city.
Chief of the Main Operational Directorate of the General Staff Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoy told reporters that the battle took place on Monday and that rebels lost 14 tanks, 10 other types of armored vehicles, and 60 vehicles with weapons mounted on them.
Rudskoy specified that the result was achieved by "Syrian army troops and the national militia, with the support of Russian aviation," Sputnik reported.
The offensive was launched under the leadership of Al-Nusra Front, agencies reported.
Rudskoy also said that more than 100 terrorist attacks took place in the Aleppo area. More than 250 people died, and 900 were wounded in four terrorist attacks in the past week, he said.
Also on Monday, the general confirmed that a Russian Mi-8 transport helicopter had been shot down by ground fire following delivery of humanitarian supplies to Aleppo, killing three crew and two officers from Russia's Reconciliation Center.
“The helicopter was hit from the ground in an area under control of the armed units of Al-Nusra Front terrorist group and the troops of the so-called ‘moderate opposition’ who joined them,” Rudskoy said, according to RT.