Investigation carried out into controversial lotto draw

The police have questioned six persons over suspicions of irregularities that occurred during the State Lottery of Serbia's lotto draw on Tuesday.

Source: B92, Tanjug
Share

The controversy stems from the fact one of the numbers appeared on TV screens before it had been drawn from the machine.

According to Interior Minister Nebojsa Stefanovic, who spoke for Tanjug on Thursday, among those interviewed are members of a commission that monitored the draw, the presenter, and technical staff in charge of the graphical representation of the drawn numbers and the lotto machine.

Stefanovic said that these persons also took lie detector tests, and that the prosecution was "immediately informed about the results."

Five more persons will take the same test today, he said, announcing also an expert analysis of the balls used during the draw.

"We confiscated the computer equipment, as well as disks containing the data on all the tickets bought in Serbia, and if need be we will use international legal assistance to request information from other countries. The police are resolute in their intention to determine all the circumstances and the facts, and whether any abuses had occurred, and we will inform the public when everything has been done," said Stefanovic.

State Lottery of Serbia Director Aleksandar Vulovic on Wednesday said that the draw was regular, blaming human error for the fact a winning number appeared on the screen before the ball was drawn.

According to the N1 outlet, Vulovic on Thursday resigned, citing "moral reasons."

Society

page 1 of 18 go to page