Serbian government lifts state of emergency
The Serbian government on Friday decided to lift the country-wide state of emergency introduced on May 15.Source: Tanjug
The proposal came from the emergency HQ set up to deal with the flood crisis, and was announced earlier in the day by Interior Minister Nebojša Stefanović.
He also revealed that so far 33 bodies have been recovered from affected areas, and that of that number, 13 people had drowned. Stefanović said that this information was "correct and true" and that post mortems are now being carried out.
Two cities and 16 municipalities will for now continue under a state of emergency on the local level, and those include Šabac and Sremska Mitrovica, as well as Obrenovac, Ljig, Ub, Lajkovac, Osečina, Paraćin, Mionica, Svilajnac, Smederevska Palanka, Šid, Trstenik, Kosjerić, Bajina Bašta,Krupanj, Mali Zvornik, Koceljeva, Vladimirci.
Stefanović said that save for a critical landslide in Mali Zvornik, and for Obrenovac, where a third of the town remains flooded, the situation elsewhere in the country was "moving towards normalization."
The minister also said that work was being done to create conditions for the return of evacuees to their homes, and that relevant ministries were giving instructions in order to avoid "unwanted consequences," such as outbreaks of infectious diseases.