Situation stable, some flood evacuees to return home
The situation in the regions affected by the floods is stable this morning; some of the more than 30,000 evacuated residents expected to return to their homes.Source: B92
27 people have been confirmed dead in the floods so far, "10 or 11 having died of natural causes." The Interior Ministry (MUP) said that 798 persons have been reported as missing, and that 215 of those have been found.
The police noted that the 798 figure may not be precise as on some occasions one person was reported missing multiple times.
Authorities have decided that residents of the settlement of Barič near Belgrade will today return to their homes. Some of the evacuated residents of Obrenovac, the town worst-hit by the disaster, could also go back home.
Owners of some stores and other business have been told to return to Obrenovac this morning.
Obrenovac Mayor Miroslav Čučković, meanwhile, has rejected accusations that he made the decision to alert the citizens to the danger too late, and said he would not resign.
Prime Minister Aleksandar Vučić said on Wednesday the country would be rebuilt in four phases and that donors are expected to cover a quarter of the damage done by the floods.
Serbia on Thursday continues to observe three days of mourning for those who perished in the disaster.
The situation is stable is other critical points: the town of Šabac and the Kostolac power plant. The River Sava has been flooding on the Croatian side of the border, but barriers are holding in the municipality of Šid in Serbia.
The town of Smederevo, downstream on the Danube from Belgrade, is preparing for the rising water level on the river.
Help is still needed in Svijalnac, Sremska Mitrovica, Smederevska Palanka, Lajkovac, Mali Zvornik. The town of Valjevo in western Serbia, which was the first to be flooded by the Kolubara River last week, is now facing numerous landslides both in urban and rural areas.