12 bodies recovered in flooded Obrenovac - PM

The bodies of 12 flood victims have been recovered in the town of Obrenovac, but it is feared the number of those who perished in higher, says Aleksandar Vučić.

Source: Tanjug

One person there died of natural causes, he added.

The prime minister "explained that authorities at first intended to protect the public from any form of sensationalism, fabrication, and untrue stories."

"The situation is catastrophic, but there is also false information, such as, for example, that entire residential buildings had collapsed. That is not true, in question is one single-storey house," he was quoted as saying.

Vučić made this statement after saying earlier in the day that there were many victims in Obrenovac , but that the number was "lower than first thought."

Also earlier on Sunday, it was announced that a total of five people had been confirmed to have died in the floods in various parts of the country.

Entrances to Obrenovac remain blocked today as the evacuation continues. The police is letting only rescue teams thought, while those who had to leave their homes have been told they would not be able to return "until further notice."

Politics

page 1 of 2966 go to page