“Belgrade-Priština dialogue will continue”

BELGRADE -- Belgrade negotiating team head Borislav Stefanović said late Wednesday the dialogue between Belgrade and Priština would not stop.

Borislav Stefanović (Tanjug, file)
Borislav Stefanović (Tanjug, file)

He added, however, that it was unlikely the next round of talks would be held on September 28.

“The talks will not stop, but considering the current situation, it is hard to imagine the next round will be held September 28 as planned,” Stefanović told reporters after the presentation of James Ker-Lindsay's book "Kosovo: The Path to Contested Statehood in the Balkans."

Describing the situation in Kosovo as a stalemate, the team chief said Serbia was committed to talks and not use of force, but that Priština had often been encouraged to make unilateral moves, harming the dialogue and sending a message unilateral moves were welcome.

"We are the first Serbian government in a long time which has really tried to solve the Kosovo issue. We are the first Serbian government in a long time which has really had a chance to negotiate with the Kosovo Albanians," he stressed.

"We are probably the first to tell people on the ground there the truth, not only what is being talked about, but the truth about what our realistic options are," Stefanović stated.

He reiterated that "after a long time, Serbia has a plan for Kosovo."

According to him, the plan would be implemented in stages and had been presented to European countries.

“When it comes to the crisis at the administrative crossings, we still have not received a response to our initiative, but it is encouraging that there is frequent communication and we seem to be headed in a good direction,” Stefanović concluded.