Minister: Drone incident "caused by Albanian citizen"
Serbian Interior Minister Nebojša Stefanović said late on Monday that the football stadium drone incident on Oct. 14 was caused by "an Albanian citizen."Source: Tanjug
The incident happened in Belgrade during a Serbia vs. Albania UEFA qualifier, and the drone carried a map showing "Greater Albania".
Stefanović stressed that the remotely operated craft was "brought from Italy" and that he was "convinced" those who inspired the incident were "within the Albanian authorities."
"All those goings-on at the stadium at that moment were not coincidental. It is obvious everything was well organized. I think the investigation will show that such provocations always turn against those ready to organize them," said Stefanović.
"We are working to change and amend the law to regulate this sphere, since it is not illegal to own a drone," he told RTS.
This issue was also addressed during a tense news conference Prime Minister Aleksandar Vučić held earlier on Monday with visiting Albanian counterpart Edi Rama - whose brother Olsi Rama was originally suspected of operating the drone that carried a map showing Albania incorporating parts four neighboring countries.
Vučić told reporters that the incident was "carefully planned."
Replying to questions, he noted that "the individuals involved in the incident arrived in Serbia several days before the football match."
"Of course, the organizers and participants in the incident will be prosecuted for the criminal act they committed," the prime minister said.