Hague: Karadžić begins defense
THE HAGUE -- Former political leader of Serbs in Bosnia Radovan Karadžić begins his defense before the Hague Tribunal on Monday.
Karadžić at the Hague today (Beta)
Karadžić, who is defending himself, will have two days for his opening statement, which is the same amount of time the prosecution had on October 26, when the trial began.
Karadžić addressed the judges today to say that we will not defend himself by deflecting guilt on others, stating that he has “good evidence”.
He said that he will not be defending himself, but the “greatness” of the Serb people that “fought for survival for 500 years” in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
“We will prove that there was no thought, much less a plan for getting rid of the Muslims,” Karadžić said.
He said that the goal of the Bosnian Serbs was not to create a Greater Serbia, like the indictment suggests, but to preserve Yugoslavia.
“The RS was created out of necessity and that was very painful,” he said.
Karadžić said that the Bosnian Serbs were ready to accept an independent Bosnia-Herzegovina, if a ”constitutive Serbia entity” was guaranteed for them.
He accused the Party of Democratic Actions (SDA) for leading “war policies” to the advantage of Muslims and disadvantage of the “Christian majority of Serbs and Croats.”
His legal advisor Goran Petronijević said that Karadžić will be using both days for his opening statement.
“Karadžić will speak for three hours each day. The opening statement will give direction to the defense. There was little time to prepare, we asked the trial chamber for additional time to prepare the defense,” he said.
If the demand for more time is not approved, the trial will continue with the prosecution’s first witness on March 3.
The opening statement will also be attended by the defense attorney that the Tribunal appointed to Karadžić’s case, Richard Harvey, though Petronijević said that his role will be minimal.
In the prosecution’s opening statement, it was said that Karadžić was the chief commander of the army that committed ethnic cleansing against Muslims and Croats in large portions of Bosnia, and terrorized civilians in Sarajevo, along with committing genocide against 7,000 Muslims in Srebrenica.
He is accused of committing ethnic cleansing against Muslims and Croats in between 1992 and 1995 in Bosnia-Herzegovina, a campaign of terror against civilians in the Sarajevo campaign during the same period, taking UN officials hostage in May and June 1995, and the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.
February 24, 2010 | 16:28 | Source: B92 | Comments: (0) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Police have sealed two apartments of the Šarić family at 78 and 80 Arsenija Čarnojevića Blvd. in Belgrade today.
February 27, 2010 | 14:11 | Source: FoNet, Tanjug | Comments: (0) | Send comment
NOVI PAZAR, BELGRADE -- Seventeen years after the kidnapping of 19 people in Štrpci, the Islamic community is continuing to demand investigations from the state.
March 1, 2010 | 09:48 | Source: Blic | Comments: (1) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Going after Darko Šarić’s crime gang has jeopardized the safety of Serbia’s state officials involved in the investigation, a source from the Serbian MUP says.
March 1, 2010 | 10:42 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (0) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Director of the Serbian Interpol Office Miloš Oparnica said that so far 15 countries have delivered information on Darko Šarić to Serbia.
February 23, 2010 | 18:12 | Source: Reuters, Tanjug | Comments: (23) | Send comment
TIRANA -- UN official Philip Alston has asked Albania to fully cooperate in an investigation related to the alleged trafficking of organs taken from Serbs civilians.
February 23, 2010 | 18:02 | Source: Beta | Comments: (1) | Send comment
PODGORICA -- Montenegrin Parliament Speaker Ranko Krivokapić accused Serbia of trying to "export" the problem of narco-cartels to Montenegro.
February 27, 2010 | 10:13 | Source: B92 | Comments: (0) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- War Crimes Prosecutor Vladimir Vukčević participated in an international conference regarding the Hague Tribunal.
February 28, 2010 | 16:39 | Source: B92 | Comments: (35) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- The Radosavljević home in Klina was stoned for the second time in 10 days.
February 26, 2010 | 16:37 | Source: FoNet, Beta | Comments: (0) | Send comment
PODGORICA -- Suspected cocaine boss Darko Šarić is in Switzerland, Podgorica-based daily Vijesti writes today, quoting “a diplomat from an influential country”.
February 26, 2010 | 11:22 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (8) | Send comment
BRATISLAVA -- Slovakia plans to “confiscate” that country's passport issued to Darko Šarić, reports said.
February 23, 2010 | 12:29 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (10) | Send comment
PODGORICA -- Italian Chief Prosecutor of the National Anti-Mafia Bureau Pietro Grasso has commented on the cooperation his office has with Serbia, and Montenegro.
February 24, 2010 | 12:33 | Source: Beta | Comments: (0) | Send comment
THE HAGUE -- Serbian War Crimes Prosecutor Vladimir Vukčević stated that the topic of the Hague Tribunal legacy was “very intriguing.“
March 1, 2010 | 18:34 | Source: B92 | Comments: (0) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- MUP's bomb squad officers were searching a business building in Belgrade for hours today, after receiving a bomb tip-off that proved to be fake.
February 25, 2010 | 13:25 | Source: Beta | Comments: (6) | Send comment
THE HAGUE -- Serbian War Crimes Prosecutor Vladimir Vukčević denied allegations that Serbia was protecting Gen. Ratko Mladić, Beta reports.
February 23, 2010 | 14:24 | Source: Beta | Comments: (0) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Simeon Vilovski, after he was found inaccessible to the Serbian legislative bodies.
February 24, 2010 | 14:01 | Source: Večernje novosti | Comments: (2) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- There is operative data that the crime group of Darko Šarić blames officials of the Serbian MUP and BIA for its downfall, daily Večernje Novosti writes.
February 24, 2010 | 16:34 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (4) | Send comment
ŠABAC -- Eight kilograms of heroin were found during a search of a house owned by Čedomir Jovanović, a 54-year-old from Crna Bara, near Šabac, police said.
February 25, 2010 | 16:36 | Source: B92 | Comments: (1) | Send comment
BUJANOVAC -- A Mercedes car was set on fire early this morning in front of the family home of Miorslav Denković in Bujanovac, southern Serbia.