3 arrested in handball player slaying
Source: B92, Tanjug
BUDAPEST -- Austrian police have arrested three suspects in the killing of Romanian handball player Marian Cozma and the injuring of two of his teammates.
A combo photo of suspects Rafael and Sztojka (rtl.hu)
Police in Hungary said earlier that the third suspect was still at large.
The two injured players were Serbia's Žarko Šešum and Croatian goalkeeper Ivan Pešić.
Police previously named two suspects in the stabbings of the Veszprem club players in front of a city nightclub as Sandor Rafael and Ivan Sztojka.
But the three persons the Austrians have arrested near the border with Hungary last night were Rafael, another man, indentified as Gyozo N., and a woman, all Hungarian citizens.
Police dodged questions of whether the crime was committed by Romas, or Gypsies, which most of the public already believes is true, since Roma gangs have been terrorizing the Veszprem area recently.
The Roma issue in Hungary is very sensitive. One police captain was reportedly fired and then reinstated, after stating that in his district all of the crimes committed recently have been by Romas.
A commemorative gathering for the slain player was held last night in the city’s main square, at which hundreds of people were in attendance.
There were anti-Roma chants heard and members of the radical nationalist Hungarian Guard were also present at the gathering.
There were cameras set up in and in front of the club where the attack took place, so the entire event was recorded. Hungarian press have quoted Romanian sources with statements from Cozma’s father who said that he feels as if the murderers killed him, not his son.
According to initial information, the three handball players were celebrating the birth of a friend’s child at the local nightclub.
However, a disagreement between the players and locals turned into a fight in which Cozma was stabbed in the heart and pronounced dead upon arrival to the hospital.
Pešić was stabbed in the kidney and which was removed yesterday during an emergency surgery, while Šešum was knocked unconscious by hard blows to the head.
Šešum's condition is stable and non-life threatening.
He has in the meantime undergone surgery, which according to the director of Veszprem hospital, Jeno Racz, went well.
There were fears that the athlete's eyesight might be impaired from the injury, but Racz said that after another corrective operation "Šešum will see just like he did before the tragic event".
Velimir Marjanović of the Serbian Handball Association said that Šešum was struck when we was trying to help his teammate, who was lying on the ground. He said that Šešum’s father has left for Hungary.
The Romanian interior ministry has joined the investigation and is working with the Hungarian police to locate and arrest the suspects.
February 5, 2009 | 13:21 | Source: B92 | Comments: (0) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- State Public Prosecutor Slobodan Radovanović says that the sentencing policy in Serbia is “too lenient.”
February 5, 2009 | 09:49 | Source: B92 | Comments: (5) | Send comment
ZAGREB -- Hague Chief Prosecutor Serge Brammertz will discuss documents needed for the case against Ante Gotovina with Croatian officials in Zagreb.
February 5, 2009 | 12:34 | Source: Danas | Comments: (4) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Republic Ombudsman Saša Janković has opened proceedings to ascertain whether Gnjilane Group members were subjected to torture during and after their arrest.
February 5, 2009 | 16:48 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (5) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Humanitarian Law Center Nataša Kandić has been found guilty of slander against Serb Progressive Party (SNS) leader Tomislav Nikolić.
February 4, 2009 | 14:51 | Source: Tanjug, Financial Times | Comments: (0) | Send comment
LONDON -- Serge Brammertz says Ratko Mladić and Goran Hadžić must not be allowed to think they will go unpunished when the Hague Tribunal closes its doors.
February 6, 2009 | 11:26 | Source: B92 | Comments: (7) | Send comment
ZAGREB -- Hague Tribunal Chief Prosecutor Serge Brammertz has repeated his call to Croatia to hand over military documents regarding Operation Storm.
February 6, 2009 | 11:35 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (4) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- The Serbian War Crimes Prosecution is ready to process war crimes cases committed in Rwanda, says spokesman Bruno Vekarić.
February 4, 2009 | 10:35 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (3) | Send comment
PRIŠTINA -- The trial of Gani Gashi, accused of war crimes, has opened at the District Court in Priština, with a EULEX mission judge presiding.
February 3, 2009 | 16:17 | Source: B92 | Comments: (26) | Send comment
ZAGREB, SYDNEY -- An Australian court has approved the extradition of Dragan Vasiljković, known as Captain Dragan, to Croatia, where he is indicted for war crimes.
February 4, 2009 | 16:38 | Source: B92 | Comments: (0) | Send comment
THE HAGUE -- A Hague Tribunal spokeswoman Nerma Jelačić has dismissed Vojislav Šešelj’s claims that the Secretariat has barred him from communicating with Radovan Karadžić.
February 3, 2009 | 15:53 | Source: Beta | Comments: (0) | Send comment
ŠTRPCE -- A suspect in yesterday’s knife attack on Dejan Stanojević in Bitinja has turned himself in to police, says Kosovo Police Service (KPS) spokesman Arber Beka.
February 3, 2009 | 12:51 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (0) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- MUP has announced that an armed man threatened police in Belgrade last night, brandishing a gun and resisting arrest, until officers finally subdued him.
February 9, 2009 | 15:12 | Source: Beta | Comments: (0) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- The trial of former RTS Director Dragoljub Milanović was postponed to March 11 before the Belgrade District Court.
February 8, 2009 | 12:14 | Source: B92 | Comments: (1) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Special Prosecutor Miljko Radisavljević says that the Law on Forfeiture of Assets Gained Trough Criminal Activity will be applied in March.
February 7, 2009 | 12:05 | Source: B92 | Comments: (0) | Send comment
POŽAREVAC -- Interior Minister Ivica Dačić said on Friday in Požarevac that MUP is collaborating with the OSCE to finalize a strategy on organized crime.
February 8, 2009 | 14:01 | Source: Beta | Comments: (0) | Send comment
KRALJEVO -- 18-year-old Kraljevo resident Marko S. was killed last night during a clash with two persons, one of whom was underaged.
February 7, 2009 | 13:40 | Source: Beta | Comments: (2) | Send comment
VALJEVO -- The home of a married couple in their seventies was broken into last night in Valjevo by three armed masked gunmen.